Now that spring is here, it is time for homeowners to clean up their property after the long, frigid winter.
Here’s a checklist from Criterium-Lalancette Engineers, a Rutland-based company that provides comprehensive inspections of homes and commercial buildings throughout Vermont and New Hampshire.
- Check and repair any damaged windows and doors.
- Remove wooden storm windows and install screens.
- Wash the windows.
- Clean or replace heating and air-conditioning system filters.
- Check heating and air-conditioning system for leaks, cracks and dirt.
- Caulk or fill any areas where insects may enter the house.
- Clean gutters and downspouts, check for leaks and cracks.
- Check house for peeling paint.
- Seal any cracks in brick or masonry.
- Inspect the roof surface, flashing, eaves and soffits.
- Check decks, patios, porches, stairs and railings for loose fittings and deterioration.
- Test outdoor lights and replace bulbs as needed.
- Trim bushes and trees away from house.
- Check trees and other landscaping for winter damage; prune as needed.
- Check drainage ditches and drain tiles for obstructions.
- Check yard for large depressions or heaving that may indicate drainage problems.
- Check for and repair any driveway or walkway cracks.
- Reseal asphalt driveways and walkways.