Thunder and lightning delayed the start of Sunday’s Vermont City Marathon in Burlington, but it did little to dampen enthusiasm among the runners and the crowd.
California runner Sergio Reyes set the pace, posting the second-fastest time in the race’s 31-year history: 2:17:40, a pace of 5:15 per mile. Michael Khobotov’s 2001 time of 2:17:03 remains the course record.
Rachel Schilkowsky of Providence was the first woman to cross the line; her time was 2:45.59, averaging 6:20 per mile for 26.2 miles.
Minutes before the 7 a.m., start time, the nearly 4,000 participants at the starting line had to run for shelter because a sudden thunderstorm was sweeping across Lake Champlain.
A quarter of the racers Sunday felt right at home, with 24.35 percent hailing from Burlington. Add in the rest of the Chittenden County runners, and there’s a good chance that most people who ran logged more miles on their running shoes than they did in their cars getting to the race.
The average age was 38, and males made up 54.3 percent of the field.
A few local runners were among the top Vermonters in Sunday’s field.
Neal Graves of Stowe was the sixth-fastest Vermont man, finishing in 2:46:03.
For women, Brittany Rose of Moretown was the third-fastest Vermonter, finishing in 3:14:09. Jennifer Moltz of Hyde Park was the fourth-fastest female, with a 3:15:36 finish.
Local half-and-half relay team Craftsbury Running was the fastest women’s team, placing fourth overall with a time of 2:42.
Here’s how local runners finished in the marathon:
33. Neal Graves, 36M, Stowe, 2:51:24
82. George Aitken, 25M, Waterbury Center, 3:00:27
111. Justin Rito, 32M, Jeffersonville, 3:06:38
121. Edwin Bitter, 36M, Stowe, 3:09:05
156. Brittany Rose, 29F, Moretown, 3:14:01
160. Tom Thurston, 55M, Waterbury, 3:14:24
171. Jennifer Moltz, 30F, Hyde Park, 3:15:34
292. George Deane, 39M, Waterbury Center, 3:29:29
293. Jason Wulff, 40M, Waterbury, 3:29:30
400. Karissa McDonough, 44F, Waterbury Center, 3:40:27
426. Scot Baraw, 51M, Stowe, 3:40:33
432. Kathy Provencher, 49F, Waterbury Center, 3:41:39
458. Mariana Wingood, 32F, Waterbury, 3:43:16
532. Devin Gleason, 39M, Stowe, 3:49:38
576. Lou Bevacqui, 48M, Moretown, 3:53:50
724. William Dixon, 55M, Stowe, 4:02:30
730. Wayne Goulet, 55M, Waterbury, 4:03:22
787. Meg Allison, 46F, Moretown, 4:08.20
804. Griffin Cunningham, 22M, Waterbury, 4:08:30
833. Anna Wadlington, 26F, Jeffersonville, 4:11:37
902. Kara Merrill, 37F, Waitsfield, 4:16:22
977. Thomas O’Connor, 32M, Jeffersonville, 4:20:42
1032. Joseph Allison, 48M, Moretown, 4:26:41
1097. Shannon Lawrey, 24F, Waterbury, 4:28:14
1098. Calvin Dixon, 22M, Stowe, 4:30:14
1180. Thomas Gardner, 43M, Morrisville, 4:35:17
1186. Jason Tilton, 39M, Wolcott, 4:37:42
1231. Maria Davies, 49F, Stowe, 4:42:52
1238. Jasmine Yuris, 28F, Johnson, 4:41:57
1312. Daisy Vaughn, 28F, Stowe, 4:47:57
1315. Thomas Berry, 48M, Waterbury, 4:46:10
1425. Michelle Baker, 54F, Waterbury, 4:56:35
1485. Chris Vaughn, 35M, Jeffersonville, 5:02:57
1570. Kayla O’Toole, 24F, Waterbury, 5:14:36
1618. Pamela Barclay, 56F, Waterbury, 5:22:50
1637. Alberto Ramirez, 46M, Morrisville, 5:26:56
1657. Brett Ramus, 33M, Waterbury Center, 5:28:07