It’s official — the Stowe town government and Stowe Fire District No. 3 are merged.

The Vermont Legislature approved the merger May 23, the final step after voters approved it at town meeting this year.

Stowe Fire District No. 3 was one of three separate municipal corporations in Stowe. It owned the water system in the lower village, which includes a pump house on Thomas Lane, a reservoir off Stowe Hollow Road, and a distribution system that runs from Thomas Lane to Sylvan Park Road and along Route 100 to Stowe Jolley and Car Wash, though that water system was always operated by the Stowe town government’s public works department.

Now, the town owns the equipment.

Stowe Fire District No. 3 was formed in 1991 to ensure that about 80 properties served by its equipment had access to an up-to-date water system.

— Caleigh Cross

Show us you enjoyed this content by becoming a newspaper subscriber.

We use a Facebook Comments Plugin for commenting. No personal harassment, abuse or hate speech is permitted. Comments should be 1000 characters or fewer. We moderate every comment. Please go to our Terms of Use/Privacy Policy "Posting Rules and Interactivity" for more information.