Parents of Crossett Brook Middle School students received notification Thursday of a threat made against the school — after school had already started.

At 9:03 a.m. June 13, Superintendent Brigid Nease sent out an email stating that an individual had made a threat against the school and that troopers would be in place for the next two days.

Cautionary news about Crossett Brook Middle School

The notification came nearly 12 hours after Nease became aware of the threat, and one hour after school had started for the day.

“At approximately 9:30 last evening, I was contacted by Vermont State Police,” Nease wrote. “They indicated that they received notification from the Department of Children and Families that a non-specified (meaning no students or other individuals were named) threat against Crossett Brook students and staff has been received.”

Nease referred to the person who made the threat as “an individual known to the school district.”

According to Keith Lewia, one of two state troopers assigned to Waterbury as part of its resident trooper program, police issued a no-trespass order against the individual for all properties within the Harwood Unified Union School District.

According to Nease, the individual does not own guns, but a knife was removed from his possession.

Lewia said the individual’s activities are being monitored by a family member. At this time, no charges have been filed, Nease said.

Police will be present Thursday and Friday, the last day of school for the year. All activities — including the eighth-grade graduation at 5 p.m. tonight and all field trips — will proceed as scheduled, Nease said.

In a follow-up email to parents, Nease noted the fact the notification came after school had started.

“What is true is that I always have much more information than what I can share publicly. When situations like this arise, they unfold — all the information is not known immediately. I got the information out to you this morning as soon as I could verify it and share accurate information,” Nease wrote.

“The only message I felt that I could have put out prior to school starting was that I had VSP (Vermont State Police) at CBMS (Crossett Brook Middle School), because I really did not have verified accurate information,” Nease wrote. “In hindsight, (every unfortunate situation like this teaches us what to change in our protocol) I will consider doing that if we have future situations.”

The threat is the second against a school within the district this school year. In December, former Harwood high school custodian Dick Peck, 51, of Duxbury denied charges after he allegedly wrote “I am going to kill you all” in soap on a restroom mirror.

School employee charged with making threat

That alleged incident occurred the afternoon of Dec. 4. Nease sent out notification to parents that evening.

Show us you enjoyed this content by becoming a newspaper subscriber.

We use a Facebook Comments Plugin for commenting. No personal harassment, abuse or hate speech is permitted. Comments should be 1000 characters or fewer. We moderate every comment. Please go to our Terms of Use/Privacy Policy "Posting Rules and Interactivity" for more information.