The second day of racing at Thunder Road’s Labor Day Classic was postponed after a car struck two track officials during a qualifying race on Sunday, Sept. 1.
Both officials had severe injuries, including broken legs. One was treated at Central Vermont Medical Center, and was discharged Sunday; the other was helicoptered to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center and needed surgery. Both are expected to recover fully. One is a Thunder Road official, the other an American-Canadian Tour official. The driver of the car appeared to be uninjured.
Witnesses said cars were racing three abreast when the outside car got squeezed off the track, went over a retaining wall and hit the two officials.
The crash on Sunday occurred around midday, during a qualifying race for the Lenny’s Shoe and Apparel Flying Tigers.
For further information: thunderroadvt.com.
A full day of the Labor Day Classic was completed on Saturday, Aug. 31.
Matt Kimball from Bennington, N.H., won the 50-lap feature for the North East Mini Stocks; Jeffrey Martin of Barre won the 35-lap feature for the Street Stocks and continues to lead the division; Mike Mitchell of Essex Junction won the Road Warriors 30-lap feature.
Here’s a look at the top five finishers in each of those feature races, plus how some other local drivers fared. Drivers are listed by finish, name, number and hometown. For full results: thunderroadvt.com.
North East Mini Stocks
1. Matthew Kimball, #50, Bennington, NH
2. Brandon Gray, 00, East Thetford, VT
3. Julia Raymond, #62, Winchester, NH
4. Michael Viens, #85, Seekonk, MA
5. Joe Katula, #4K, Lisbon Falls, ME
Allen Lumber Street Stocks
1. Jeffrey Martin, #8, Barre
2. Kyle MacAskill. #7, Williamstown
3. Keegan Lamson, #55, Berlin
4. Dean Switser Jr., #16, Lyndonville
5. Juan Marshall, #79, Pittsfield
8. Tanner Woodard, #68, Waterbury Center
12. Tom Campbell, #85, Middlesex
14. Jamie Davis, #43, Wolcott
1. Mike Mitchell, #1, Essex Junction
2. Eric Chase, #13, Berlin
3. Josh Vilbrin, #07, Northfield
4. Tony Gravel, #29, Irasburg
5. Chris Davis, #69, Berlin
16. Patrick Lacasse, #96, Wolcott
18. Haidyn Pearce, #4, Middlesex
20. Tom Blaney, #23, Craftsbury
25. Terry Pearce Jr., #6, Middlesex